DCOP problems with kate and konquerer (KDE problem?)

I tried sending this from a different account, and it never went through, so I am resending it. (No erro messages, or bounce back, just no posting on the list.) I appologize now if the original makes it through some time and you get a double post.

Just yesterday, I started having problems with kate. It will start up, and then give me errors about not being able to start the DCOP server and some process aborting. The list of open files that is usually on the left does not appear, and if I go to open a file, the open dialog box shows NO files, even when the directory has many files in it.

Just this morning, I noticed that konqueror is also giving me errors about starting the DCOP server.

I am running Sarge, with kernel 2.6.7.  I do NOT run the full KDE (I use
fvwm2).

When I try to start konqueror I get a dialog box saying:
There was an error setting up inter-process
communication for KDE.  The message returned
by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
/home/mns/.DCOPserver_xander_:0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.
Once I click on "OK, konqueror comes up and another dialog says:
Could not start process
can't talk to klauncher
Meanwhile, the on screen errors are:
~$ konqueror
iceauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/mns/.ICEauthority
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
iceauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/mns/.ICEauthority
trying to create local folder: File exists
kio (Scheduler): ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : can't talk to
klauncherkio (Scheduler): ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : can't talk
to klauncher
~$

When I try to start kate I get the same series of dialogs. This time the open files list did appear. I can close the file (unedited), but when I try to open a new file I get the "Could not start process" dialog and the list of files is empty.

The on screen errors are:
:~$ kate create_journals.sql
iceauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/mns/.ICEauthority
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
iceauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/mns/.ICEauthority
trying to create local folder: File exists
kio (Scheduler): ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : can't talk to
klaunchertrying to create local folder: File exists
QGList::locate: Index 0 out of range
trying to create local folder: File exists
kio (Scheduler): ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : can't talk to
klauncherQGList::locate: Index 0 out of range
trying to create local folder: File exists
~$

Is this a problem with KDE?  Has a bug been filed, or should one be?

I can live without konqueror, but I use kate all the time.

Help!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com