Re: Is there a way to get 30 GB files through the net ...

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Marty wrote:

> Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:43:49 -0400
> From: Marty <martyb@ix.netcom.com>
> To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Is there a way to get 30 GB files through the net ...
>
> Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am in a bit of weird situation. I am running a dual boot system. I
> > need to be able to let someone I know but lives far be able to upload
> > 30 GB or so of data to my PC or download stuff off of it. I also need
> > to be able to get it all to the windows side. Yeah, I know you don't
> > like win, but it is a must in this situation.
> >
> > I also need a good solution (not just a quick fix) as I might have to
> > get those 30 GB back and forth to my friend quite a few times.
> >
> > I thought about ftp. I could run an ftp server on my debian side (I
> > chose to stick with linux on this part as it is way more secure). I
> > started looking at vsftpd, but I just thought about something. The only
> > way I can share files between the OSs is through FAT32 disks. But those
> > only support files up to 4GB. So I'm in trouble.
> >
> > Any thoughts? Any docs talking about a similar issue? Any sites you
> > would know that can help me?
>
> I would suggest rsync.  FTP could be a nightmare for that much data.
> (I've learned that the hard way.)
>
> Most likely you would want to make each side an rsync server for the
> other side, which can be securely done, although that will require
> some kind of secure tunnelling if data confidentiality is an issue
> (also no problem with rsync).
>
> As for getting the data on your windows side, this is decided by what
> kind of filesystem your data need.  To my knowledge hard links (and
> other UNIX filesystem features and not available in that world, which
> is some instances make it literally impossible to use MS-type filesystems.
> This is probably your prior issue.
>

> --

go for the solution with rsync, much better than ftp, and the size of the
fat drive is no prob.
don't seams to be limited to 4G.

mad:~# mkdir /mnt/hda1
mad:~# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1/
mad:~# du -sh /mnt/hda1/
3.8G    /mnt/hda1/
mad:~# df -h
/dev/hda6             5.3G  1.7G  3.4G  33% /
tmpfs                 122M     0  122M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda8              12G  511M   11G   5% /home
/dev/hda1              15G  3.8G   11G  26% /mnt/hda1
mad:~#

/ernst-magne