Re: Is there a way to get 30 GB files through the net ...

Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
Hi all,

I am in a bit of weird situation. I am running a dual boot system. I
need to be able to let someone I know but lives far be able to upload
30 GB or so of data to my PC or download stuff off of it. I also need
to be able to get it all to the windows side. Yeah, I know you don't
like win, but it is a must in this situation.

I also need a good solution (not just a quick fix) as I might have to
get those 30 GB back and forth to my friend quite a few times.

I thought about ftp. I could run an ftp server on my debian side (I
chose to stick with linux on this part as it is way more secure). I
started looking at vsftpd, but I just thought about something. The only
way I can share files between the OSs is through FAT32 disks. But those
only support files up to 4GB. So I'm in trouble.

Any thoughts? Any docs talking about a similar issue? Any sites you
would know that can help me?

I would suggest rsync.  FTP could be a nightmare for that much data.
(I've learned that the hard way.)

Most likely you would want to make each side an rsync server for the
other side, which can be securely done, although that will require
some kind of secure tunnelling if data confidentiality is an issue
(also no problem with rsync).

As for getting the data on your windows side, this is decided by what
kind of filesystem your data need.  To my knowledge hard links (and
other UNIX filesystem features and not available in that world, which
is some instances make it literally impossible to use MS-type filesystems.
This is probably your prior issue.