Re: fanless, Debian, experience?

On 22/05/05 08:49 Glenn English wrote:
On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 11:27 -0700, Andrew Porter wrote:
Have any on the list had experience with fanless PCs running Linux, more especially Debian?

The Zalman TNN 500A does a good job running Debian sarge on an Intel 865
mobo, 2.8GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 79G SCSI, 120G SATA, a CD RW, DAT, DLT, a
floppy, and some PCI cards -- a pretty well filled up box, in other
words (2 RAM slots left).

The box was profoundly expensive, and I had to put a small fan

Yikes! Profoudly expensive is a fitting description at that price tag.

I am taking the opposite approach and I'm trying to silence an already existing box, but it is also expensive, although not quite that expensive.

That Silverstone passive powersupply is the next on my list.

I've already got rid of the CPU and Video fans, and use quiet Seagate Barracuda hdds.

I'm running gkrellm with the alerts turned on to warn about high temperatures. I've run tests with cpuburn and all seems ok.

Adam