Re: esd hanging

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:40:11 +0200, Chuck Williams wrote:
> I've got a problem with esd hanging in certain circumstances but not
> others.

Usually this is the result of multiple applications trying to open
/dev/dsp at the same time.  If you run esd then you have to make sure that
no other audio applications open /dev/dsp; i.e., you should select the
eSound output plugin for all applications rather than the OSS output
plugin.

If you are using ALSA drivers then I suggest you configure esd
to ALSA rather than OSS (emulation); this will make the daemon open
/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p rather than /dev/dsp.  To configure esd to output to
ALSA rather than OSS, simply install libesd-alsa0 instead of libesd0.

--
Thomas Hood