Re: Freeswan and kernel 2.4.27

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 07:13:47AM -0500, Jacob S wrote:
> > The Debian kernel is already patched to include a backport of the
> > IPsec implementation from Linux 2.6. Although I havent't tried this
> > myself, I would expect this to be the reason why you were not able to
> > apply the freeswan patch.
>
> I had read that Debian kernels included a backport of IPsec from 2.6 and
> originally tried setting up freeswan without it. However, "ipsec barf"
> reports that there is no kernel support present.

You need patched freeswan userspace tools in order to use them with the
Linux 2.6 native IPsec or its backport. According to
/usr/share/doc/freeswan/README.Debian.gz, the patch has been included in
the Debian freeswan package since version 2.01-2.
You also need to install ipsec-tools:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/ipsec-tools

Please be aware that my experience with freeswan is a bit dated,
all of the above is taken from the documentation or mailinglists.

Mirko