Strange keyboard/GUI login/restart X problem

I have the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel working and there is no problem.
I also have the 2.6.8 custom kernel installed and working fine except for
the GUI login. When the login screen comes up the keyboard does not
respond. (KDM) I can only use the mouse to click on the drop down lists
etc. THe solution I have found is to click on console login, wait at the
prompt for about 60 seconds, and it will automatically return to the GUI
login and the keyboard works!.
I don't need to login in more than once a week but it is still a PIA and I
am curious about why this is happening.
Any explanations/solutions?