"foreign" fonts for X11 ?

Hello,

We have one SuSE (8.2 ?) machine here, where I can see all kinds of
"foreign" fonts in X11 (e.g. chinese, japanese, greek and so on). I didn't
manage to teach this to the new debian machines that I set up. We need
this urgently, because our software is very international. Until now, we
can test this only on this one SuSE machine, which I wantet to turn into a
debian machine soon...

Could you help me find out why my debian machines cant display "foreign"
fonts ?

Many thanks,

Markus Grunwald
Softwareentwicklung