not able to edit telugu in yudit

This is a long shot as there as not many users who use debian and are interested in Linux. But I am posting it anyway hoping that someone has a solution for this.

I have installed ttf-telugu-fonts and yudit packages in Debian Sid.

$dpkg -l ttf-telugu-fonts yudit
ii ttf-telugu-fonts 0.4.4 Free TrueType fonts for the Telugu language ii yudit 2.7.6-1 Unicode text editor

I tried to edit telugu in the following way

$yudit

chose kmap setup field. In the popup I have chosen the telugu kmap. But when I start editing all I see are some square boxes with random letter in them. Something like

------
|0 c |
|6 6 |
------

Anyidea how to make telugu fonts work in yudit? Should I file a bug report against yudit?

thanks
raju