Network Setup Help

Hello.

I installed Debian 3.0r4 onto a machine yesterday and things seemed to go alright. When I started the machine up today, I found I have no networking. There are two NICs but no device nodes for them. They were there yesterday. One I am not using yet and the other is connected to my local network. I want to have this host use dhcp to configure itself. Dhcp I understand well enough and could get it working if I had an interface to work with.

How do I create and configure /dev/eth0 and /dev/eth1? Or how do I get the system to do it?

Thanks.

Don