TX ok but no RX packets at all!

I have two identical Debian Sarge boxes... I can say identical because I
used dd to copy the HDD from the first one I set up (#1) and placed it in
the other (#2). I have changed the hostname, mailname, and IP address in the
second machine and both seem to work ok except the second machine will not
receive any packets whatsoever!

ifconfig looks similar between the two machines, except the IP and MAC of
course

route -n looks correct

iptables -L shows all policies ACCEPT

so they both look like they should work... however if I ping from #2 (the
clone) to #1 the packets get received and responded to (as shown by tcpdump)
but #2 still shows RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0... 0 ...0 ..0

I just don't get it! The cable is good; the port is good, hell the NIC in #2
was good in XP a couple of days ago. Any help would be appreciated!