Re: Resolution setting for XDM with and LCD

On 2005-05-15, N. Ross penned:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Woody and have a problem when I start X.  During the
> installation I specified that I use an LCD monitor with a native
> resolution of 1280x1024, but when I load twm or fvwm, the display is
> set to 1280x960.  In addition, the desktop image appears as a series
> of alternating grey/dark grey horizontal lines (is it supposed to be
> a solid color?).  I tried using CTRL+ALT+{+,-} with no effect.
> Anyhow, I just want to set the resolution to 1280x1024.
>
> Here is the "Monitor" and "Screen" section in my
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (I haven't changed it since the install):

[snip]

> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>         HorizSync       30-60
>         VertRefresh     50-75
>         Option          "DPMS"
> EndSection

[more snip]

I believe X spits out a bunch of stuff to the screen when it loads.  It
should tell you whether or not it likes various resolutions, and why.
You can typically take a look at that screen by using ctrl+alt+F1 once
the GUI has loaded; then use alt+F7 (I think; maybe some other F-key) to
get back to the GUI.

What does your monitor's booklet say about horizontal sync and
vertical refresh?  Mine had very specific values for these.

I also had some trouble getting X to play nice with my LCD monitor.
The settings from the monitor's book weren't great.  I googled for my
monitor, found some modeline stuff, and then used xvidtune to tweak
it.  Here's what I ended up with (note that the specific values are
almost certainly WRONG for your monitor; this is just an idea of the
general form):

    HorizSync   63.53
    VertRefresh 59.59
    ModeLine "1280x1024" 108 1280 1344 1656 1700 1024 1029 1032 1066

Note that rather than having a range of values for HS and VR, I have a
single value.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: