Activating Automount for USB Pen drive devices in Gnome

I want to activate the Automount for a USB pen drive ( also an iopd
shuffle ) using
Gnome on a Sarge system with a stock 2.6.8-2-k7 kernel.  I'm looking
for the icon to appear on the desktop when I plug one of these two
into a usb port.

I have created a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules that
have one line:

BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd?1", SYSFS{serial}="070B001610A0280", NAME="thumb"
where the serial number is the serial number from my usb key.

In the /etc/fstab in addition to other lines I have this:

/dev/sda          /mnt/ipod              vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/thumb     /media/usbkey   vfat    rw,user,auto        0       2

I can mount a usb pen drive as root
mount  /dev/sda /mnt/ipod    but it reports that it is busy when
I type umount  /dev/sda /mnt/ipod .

There is no /dev/thumb   I created a /media/usbkey

Thanks,
--
Dan Hunt  Saint Brieux Saskatchewan Canada