Re: Strange: Linux boots off a deleted partition [Was Re: Please help: Accidentally wiped off the whole hard disk!!!]

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Deboo ^ wrote:

> Well, I just wanted to do a trial run of what I was to do on the drive
> in question so I installed knoppix on this smaller drive, booted it to
> test it is working, then booting off the knoppix CD again, I deleted
> the partitions (the same thing that accidentally happened on the drive
> in question).

deleting the partition table after its been formatted still leaves
the file system intact and functional if you have an alternative way
( knoppix ) to go looking at it

how knoppix is finding the partition boundries is a separate issue,
but my guess is, it's probably is looking at 0x448 - 0x512 and its
corresponding entended partition definitions to recreate the "missing
partition entries"

> I created a single solaris partition and rebooted to
> test the smaller hdd. But even after doing this twice, it still boots
> without any problem

booting the smaller disk should always work if you are using /dev/hda1
and no other partitions ( /tmp, /usr, /var, /opt, /home, (optional) /boot,
... )

> and right now I'm accessng the list thru the hdd
> knoppx install which should not work (theoretically).

it will(might) work ... knoppix does lots of [sanity] checking ...
	- and you;re saying it is booting off a disk that does
	NOT have any defined partitions, which was deleted after
	you had installed linux on it

	you're saying: "fdisk -l /dev/hda" is empty than there
	is no partitions defined, but i think there it could
	still work if the MBR is intact and the formated fs

c ya
alvin