Re: Firefox extension and themes install

Seeker5528 wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:12:18 -0700
Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net> wrote:

What is also puzzling about this is that an entire working directory acts as if corrupted when moved from /root to a regular user's /home directory. I have tried this with 3 different regular user accounts and they all act the same way. Not a one of them can install themes/extensions or use an entire firefox/mozilla directory that
works
for root.

The last time I installed an extension I had to save it to my hard
drive, then on the file menu go to open to load the .xpi file.

I think this was in 1.0.3, so if they were going to tweak it again in
1.0.4, it could be changed again yet again.

Later, Seeker

I have tried all of these methods. I've downloaded the .xpi files and .jar files, used the File>Open method, used drag and drop into the extension and theme install windows, and used the new site for installing extensions and themes. I get the same result in each. The pop-up window appears asking me if I really want to install theme and I hit OK, and it just stops right there. Nothing happens after the pop-up window closes. The same happens with extensions. The install window opens, the install button becomes active, I hit it, and that's the end of the process as far as I can tell. It's as if the there is no error handling built into the install routine because I find no errors anywhere, and no evidence anywhere that I even attempted to install. I figure there is some type of permission problem. Whether it is one that stops the install program from writing to the disk or the user account is denied execute permissions to the script I don't know. I figured it was a write permission problem at first, but I'm not too sure of anything on this anymore.