Re: cdrecord and kernel 2.6.8-2-686

On 5/14/05, David Clymer <david@zettazebra.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 00:08 +0200, Vegard|drageV wrote:
> > I installed kernel image 2.6.8-2-686 today as an experimental
> > substitute for kernel 2.4.27-1-386.
> >
> > When trying to run k3b, it hangs at splash image, and k3bsetup2 will
> > not start.
> > the cd-recorder is this device:
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root cdrom      3 2005-05-13 23:47 /dev/cdrw -> hdd
> > brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 64 2005-05-13 23:47 /dev/hdd
> >

> > cdrecord -scanbus shows this:
>
> -----8<---- (snipped)
>
> The fact that cdrecord -scanbus is showing you nothing is unsurprising.
> What you really want to be doing is:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA
>
> That will scan your ATA devices rather than just your SCSI devices as is
> the default.

This does not give any better result:

hjem:~# cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATA
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.8-2-686
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
cdrecord: Warning: Linux-2.6.8 introduced incompatible interface changes.
cdrecord: Warning: SCSI transport does no longer work for suid root programs.
cdrecord: Warning: if cdrecord fails, try to run it from a root account.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
Error trying to open /dev/hda exclusively (Device or resource busy)...
retrying in 1 second.
[...]
cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hda'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
cdrecord:
cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
hjem:~#

> > and lsmod this:
> > hjem:~# lsmod
> > Module                  Size        Used by
> > ipv6                      264644        8
> > lp                           11176         0
>
> -----8<---- (snipped)
>
> what was your setup on 2.4.x? were you using ide_scsi?

Not sure if I understand your question, but I'll try to answer.
I had hdc=ide_scsi hdd=ide_scsi in my grub configuration, and of
course the modules 'sg' and 'ide_scsi' loaded. At first, before I used
scsi emulation in 2.4.27-1-386 I got a similar output from cdrecord
-scanbus.

If I did not answer your question, please excuse me. Maybe I'll give
you a better answer in the nest mai, when more facts are on the table.

Thanks, cheers Vegard.