Re: [solved] clock troubles

Marty wrote:

Glenn English wrote:

Many thanks for all the suggestions, especially the ones pointing me
away from the soldering iron.
I still don't understand this at all. But booting a FreeBSD install disk
seems to have fixed my clock. The prospect of being replaced scared
Sarge into getting it's act together, I guess. Earlier today (before
bsd), Sarge's clock was even running *backward* sometimes.

I don't want to argue if you are happy, but it doesn't sound fixed
to me.  NTP should keep your clock on time to within a few  miliseconds.
If you notice any abrupt changes that means NTP is definitely not
working.

Wrong. NTP will fail to update the clock if the hardware clock skew is too large. NTP cannot operate without a reasonably stable internal hardware clock.