clock troubles

The system clock on one of my machines is running way slow. If I
repeatedly run 'date' the second changes once every 3 or 4 seconds.
ntpdate will bring it into line, but ntpd can't keep it there.

I don't understand how this can happen. My experience with digital
electronics says that things almost never work half-way; they're fine,
or they're dead. Anybody know what the system clock actually is? A
counter counting the line frequency?? A divider off the CPU clock?

There was a power failure this morning, long enough to drain the UPSes
and stop all the computers. Then when I started bringing things back up,
I could just barely catch the aroma of overheated electronics -- so it
could be hardware. It could also be my imagination.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com