Re: [OT] Hotmail calls mail from my server spam; how do I contact them?

On Friday May 13 2005 6:58 pm, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> "Does your mail server have a PTR entry in your DNS zone file?
[...]
> ... but that doesn't make sense to me.  I have different A and MX
> records for the domain, specifically so that I can use a hosted web
> service while serving mail on a different machine.  If that weren't
> perfectly legit, why even have the concept of an MX record?

Well, a PTR is a PoinTeR record.  Here's some examples from my
internal domain, network.ursine.ca, as well as it's reverse lookup
zone, 0.168.0.in-addr.arpa (before dynamic updates make it
unreadable):

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 600	; 10 minutes
network.ursine.ca	IN SOA	ursine.ca. hostmaster.ursine.ca. (
				2005051305 ; serial
				600        ; refresh (10 minutes)
				600        ; retry (10 minutes)
				2419200    ; expire (4 weeks)
				600        ; minimum (10 minutes)
				)
			NS	ursine.ca.
$ORIGIN network.ursine.ca.
broadcast		A	192.168.0.255
			TXT	"Broadcast address"
network			A	192.168.0.0
			TXT	"Network address"

and the reverse zone...
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 600	; 10 minutes
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa	IN SOA	ursine.ca. hostmaster.ursine.ca. (
				2005051305 ; serial
				1200       ; refresh (20 minutes)
				600        ; retry (10 minutes)
				2419200    ; expire (4 weeks)
				1200       ; minimum (20 minutes)
				)
			NS	ursine.ca.
$ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
0			PTR	network.ursine.ca.
1			PTR	gateway.ursine.ca.
255			PTR	broadcast.ursine.ca.

The reverse zone is what gets you to the point where you can do this:

baloo@ursine:~$ host 192.168.0.255
255.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer broadcast.ursine.ca.

You need to create a reverse zone for your network.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca