Re: [OT] Hotmail calls mail from my server spam; how do I contact them?

On 2005-05-14, Jacob S penned:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:58:07 -0600 "Monique Y. Mudama"
> <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>
> I'm afraid that I don't have much help in the way of suggestions. I
> can say that your server IP has a correct PTR record, though. When I
> run "mx bounceswoosh.org" it returns the first mx record as
> home.bounceswoosh.org and "host home.bounceswoosh.org" then returns
> 66.17.169.80. If you do one more host - this time "host
> 66.17.169.80" you will see it returns 'home.bounceswoosh.org' <- the
> PTR record.

Thanks!  I sort of had a small clue about DNS stuff long ago, but after
I decided to let a friend's network company handle this stuff for me, my
brain turned to mush on the matter.  That makes sense.  The email from
my ISP seemed to indicate that the problem was that the A record's PTR
didn't match the MX record, or vice versa, which didn't sound like it
should be a problem to me.

> According to openrbl.org, the only dnsbl you're on is blackholes.us
> - they maintain lists of IP blocks belonging to ISPs and Yipes
> (which is the ISP that 66.17.169.80 appears to belong to). Chances
> are pretty slim of making it off that blacklist, but I wouldn't have
> thought that Hotmail would be checking it, either.

Doh!  That's new.  I'll mention it to my ISP, which is actually
mesanetworks.net, which for all I know may be leasing a block from
Yipes.  AFAIK, hotmail is the only mail service that considers my
mail spam.  Well, I have a faint memory of yahoo maybe having some
issues, but I'm not sure.

Er, just to be clear, what do you mean by "belonging to ISPs and
Yipes"?  Is Yipes not an ISP?

And now I'm really confused ... http://blackholes.us/ says:

"Blackholes.us does not list spammers, spam supporters or vulnerable
hosts at the present time. These lists are meant to contain all known
networks assigned or allocated to the respective provider or
organizations within the respective country. Lists are created for
research purposes, primarily, and are made public for any use others
see fit."

Soo ... these are just lists of IP addresses for certain ISPs and/or
locations, and if a company decides that ISP isn't worth dealing with,
they can block based on that?  Interesting.  I'm not sure how to find
out if it truly is a Yipes address or if maybe the info is outdated
... but I've had this IP address for over a year, so I'm guessing the
info is right *sigh*.

> My only other thought would be having the hotmail users add your
> e-mail address to their address book, if they haven't already. AOL
> users are told to do this for e-mail they do not want marked as
> spam; maybe Hotmail is intelligent enough to watch for this too?

This works, but only if I know to warn the person in the first place,
and assuming that I always use the same username.  I'd rather just not
have my mail considered spam in the first place, as it isn't!

Thank you for all the ideas and info!

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: