Re: [OT] Hotmail calls mail from my server spam; how do I contact them?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:17:12 -0500
Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:58:07 -0600
> "Monique Y. Mudama" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had to contact hotmail about this kind of thing?
> >
> > Mail from my server automatically gets put in the spam folder.  My
> > server isn't blacklisted as far as I know, and it's a static IP.
> >
> > My ISP said:
> >
> > "Does your mail server have a PTR entry in your DNS zone file?
> > Without one, many hosts may reject your email. Basically a receiving
> > host will do a reverse lookup to make sure that the incoming email
> > traces back to the originating (sending) server IP - if it cannot
> > resolve it, then the email will be rejected. A PTR is an entry in
> > your DNS zone file that is referenced when a server does a reverse
> > lookup.  "
> >
> > ... but that doesn't make sense to me.  I have different A and MX
> > records for the domain, specifically so that I can use a hosted web
> > service while serving mail on a different machine.  If that weren't
> > perfectly legit, why even have the concept of an MX record?
>
> I'm afraid that I don't have much help in the way of suggestions. I
> can say that your server IP has a correct PTR record, though. When I
> run "mx bounceswoosh.org" it returns the first mx record as
> home.bounceswoosh.org and "host home.bounceswoosh.org" then returns
> 66.17.169.80. If you do one more host - this time "host 66.17.169.80"
> you will see it returns 'home.bounceswoosh.org' <- the PTR record.

Sorry for replying to my own e-mail...

I just remembered that I've heard Hotmail does SPF lookups. If you don't
have a problem with the concept, you might try adding an spf record for
your domain. You can read about how to do it here -
http://spf.pobox.com/ and test your spf record here -
http://www.dnsstuff.com/pages/spf.htm .

HTH,
Jacob