Re: clock speed trouble

David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an old Toshiba laptop (c 1999)  which uses apm rather than the
> modern acpi. Whenever I boot up on battery power, the cpu speed is
> incorrectly detected as 48.175 MHz. This makes the system clock run
> way too fast, which means my time gets wrong, and also makes the
> computer harder to use in a bunch of ways (e.g. ultra fast keyboard
> repeat).
>
> Has anyone got a way to solve this problem?

Are you booting the kernel with acpi=off or noacpi (assuming you
have not rolled your own and completely disabled it)?  Do you have
the toshiba.ko module load on boot (place the word toshiba on its
own line /etc/modules for this to happen automatically)?  Is your
CPU a Speedstep?  If so, make sure that your BIOS is set to boot
with it at max speed, otherwise it may boot at one speed and then
get changed later, thereby messing up the kernel (unless you load
the speedstep-related modules and install a suitable userland
application, like cpufreqd, to manage it).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr