Re: default-display-manager

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:43:37PM +0100, jonny dennis wrote:
> Ive got a debian proxy running gnome, I commented out
> the line /usr/bin/gdm with a # then when i rebooted
> the machine it wont startx it just hangs and i have to
> go to another console and kill the process. can anyone
> help? any suggestions most apreciated

Is there any reason why you wouldn't just uninstall all the
graphical stuff like gdm and kdm? If you're never going to
use those things, you can just do an

sudo apt-get remove kdm gdm xserver-xfree86

and that will take care of a lot of that for you. (You end
up having to delete lots of other stuff, like OpenOffice or
whatnot, but the line above will get you started.)

Now, to make sure that gdm or kdm don't run when you boot is
actually much easier. First install the rcconf package
(apt-get install rcconf), then 'sudo rcconf'. You'll see a
list of daemons that run when you boot. Among them is
probably gdm. Go down to that item on the list and make sure
that it's deselected; use the spacebar to deselect.

It might be worthwhile to read about the /etc/rc*.d system
if you don't already know about it. Lots of daemons sit in
/etc/init.d/, and they get symlinked into /etc/rc*.d
depending upon where in the boot order they're supposed to
load. rcconf handles this symlinking for you.

Cheers,
Steve

--
Stephen R. Laniel