/dev? for USB dvdrw drive?

On my backup 2.4.26 kernel the mount point for my Sony dvdrw drive is /dev/sr1.

When I boot to my 2.6.8 kernel /dev/sr1 does not exist. The drive is recognized by lsusb but this just gives the bus # and device #.

This must be because scsi emulation is on for the 2.4.26 kernel but not for the 2.6.8 kernel. When I compile a 2.6.8 kernel with scsi emulation hotplug crashes the system when a usb device is unplugged.

I understand that scsi emulation should not be needed with a 2.6.8 kernel and, indeed, I can access my cdrw drive at /dev/hdd with cdrecord with dev="ATA:1,1,0"

I don't remember how I determined that the dvdrw drive was located at /dev/sr1 when running with the 2.4.26 kernel. When I connect a USB jumpdrive while the 2.4.26 kernel is running, the /dev/ mount point is reported. This does not work with the 2.6.8 kernel and neither kernel shows the mount point of dvdrw drive when it is connected.

I'm sure there is some elementary way to determine the mount point but it escapes me. I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Tom George