Re: smp kernel boots from Knoppix but not Sarge

On (09/05/05 23:28), michael wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 23:20 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a couple of servers (identical spec) with the advertised cpu as:
> > 3.2GHz 3.2GHz Intel P4 Prescott
> >
> > If I boot from Knoppix I get:
> > # uname -a
> >
> > Linux Knoppix 2.6.7 #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> >
> > processor       : 0
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 3
> > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
> > stepping        : 4
> > cpu MHz         : 3193.360
> > cache size      : 1024 KB
> > physical id     : 0
> > siblings        : 2
> > fdiv_bug        : no
> > hlt_bug         : no
> > f00f_bug        : no
> > coma_bug        : no
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 5
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
> > monitor ds_cpl cidbogomips        : 6324.22
> >
> > processor       : 1
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 3
> > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
> > stepping        : 4
> > cpu MHz         : 3193.360
> > cache size      : 1024 KB
> > physical id     : 0
> > siblings        : 2
> > fdiv_bug        : no
> > hlt_bug         : no
> > f00f_bug        : no
> > coma_bug        : no
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 5
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
> > monitor ds_cpl cidbogomips        : 6373.37
> >
> > However, running sarge I can't get an smp kernel to boot - it hangs on
> > 'acpi'
> >
> > # uname -a
> > Linux Venus 2.6.8-1-686 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:34:30 UTC 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> > # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor       : 0
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 3
> > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
> > stepping        : 4
> > cpu MHz         : 3193.438
> > cache size      : 1024 KB
> > fdiv_bug        : no
> > hlt_bug         : no
> > f00f_bug        : no
> > coma_bug        : no
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 5
> [...]
Thanks Michael

Yes - I know I need an -smp kernel but I can't seem to get the
2.6.8 smp kernel to boot - I tried the 2.6.11 smp kernel (from sid)
which booted but gave rise to another problem - it wouldn't bring up the
software raid1 on boot (which was the problem I had originally when
installing the machines).  But it didn't report two processors which is
why I'm somewhat confused - these are a client's production servers and
so I'm reluctant to muck around with them too much.

I don't think I can use a 2.4 kernel because the raid configuration is
on a pair of SATA drives.

I need to take one machine down and verify whether there are actually
two processors in there.  It was a few month s ago that I set them up
and I was pretty sure there were 2 but because I needed to get them up
in a hurry and I couldn't get the smp kernel to work properly, I stuck
with the single processor kernel.

Regards

Clive

--