smp kernel boots from Knoppix but not Sarge

Hi

I have a couple of servers (identical spec) with the advertised cpu as:
3.2GHz 3.2GHz Intel P4 Prescott

If I boot from Knoppix I get:
# uname -a

Linux Knoppix 2.6.7 #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 3193.360
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cidbogomips        : 6324.22

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 3193.360
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cidbogomips        : 6373.37

However, running sarge I can't get an smp kernel to boot - it hangs on
'acpi'

# uname -a
Linux Venus 2.6.8-1-686 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:34:30 UTC 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 3
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 3193.438
cache size      : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
monitor ds_cpl cidbogomips        : 6324.22

I guess it's something to do with hyperthreading (which shows up in the
BIOS).  I would welcome some enlightenment as to why Knoppix reports two
processors but sarge (and Debian From Scratch) only seem to recognise
one.

Thanks

Clive

--