Configure X on virtual pc 2004

I just downloaded 3.01 r5 and wanted to try it out.  I set up an virtual pc
2004 session in and installed it.  I can only get X to start in 256 color
640x480 mode.  Not a very useful mode.  I have tried just about every
combination of xf86config and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 however I
always get a variation of the same error: failed to load module s3 module
does not exist

I did do an apt-get update/upgrade however the problems have persisted.

I have tried using both S3 and Vesa drivers as various sources on the
internet have suggested.  Has anybody here gotten this to work?  If so how
did you do it?

If anybody has successfully gotten this going I would be happy to know how
you did it.

Thanks.