Re: xdm background with qiv

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 06:48:34PM +0300, Andras Lorincz wrote:
> But I also can see from xdpyinfo this:
>
> root window id:    0x49
>
> Should that be 0x23?

don't think so...  "visual id" and "window id" refer to different
things.

> On 5/9/05, Andras Lorincz <andras.lorincz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can see
> >
> > default visual id:  0x23
> >    visual:
> >      visual id:    0x23
> >      class:    TrueColor
> >      depth:    24 planes
> >
> > when I run xdpyinfo. So that is not the problem. Any other idea?

Does qiv work in general with normal (non-root) windows?
Have you tried other viewers?

You could also try 'xwininfo' to query info specifically about the root
window / background (just type 'xwininfo' and then click somewhere on
the desktop background).
But I guess it'll tell you "Visual Class: TrueColor" as well...
Even worse, if this should reveal that your root window has some other
weird class, I wouldn't really know from the top of my head which part
of the configs you might want to change ;)

Anyhow, good luck,
Almut