Re: disk cloning with dd

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 03:43:03PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> If it's exactly the same size, then yes. Keep in mind that you don't
> copy files but the whole hard disk - including boot sectors and the
> partition table. And, of course, if some of your data is already
> corrupt, you are going to have a corrupt copy as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you don't need the disks are the same
size, I mean, you can use dd to "clone" just the filesystems to files on
another disk; you would use /dev/hda1 and so instead of /dev/hda...

In this way you can mount the resulting files as if they were filesystems on a
disk (using the loopback device).

Regards:

Nacho

--
No book comes out of a vacuum (G. Buehler)
http://www.lascartasdelavida.com