Re: Stuck at desktop

Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Also sprach Peter Klauer <peter@touchstonepdx.com> (Sat, 07 May 2005
> 08:45:00 -0700):
>
>>I have just installed Debian GNU/Linux i386 Woody, Version 3.0r5.
>>It boots to the Gnome Desktop Manager where my keyboard is recognized
>>and I can log in. That puts me to the Gnome 1.4 desktop GUI where my
>>mouse is not recognized and I can find no combination of keys to move
>>around the
>>desktop to get a command line to work on my mouse.  Can someone help
>>me maneuver on the desktop with keyboard only?
>>Peter
>

> switch to console by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 . log in, check your
> $ dmesg output 'bout your mouse and if it's there (check in /dev too)
> reconfigure your Xserver (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or $ dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86).
>
> if the mouse is not recognized at boot there might be a module missing
> (ps2/usb?).
>
> if you think it's all configured right restart your login:
>
> # /etc/init.d/gdm redstart
>
> sl ritch.

I would also add the following:  Do yourself a favor and upgrade to
Sarge.  It is now in freeze and release is imminent.  Unless your
desktop system is connected directly to the internet with no protection
(not very smart, either way), you should be OK.  My understanding is
that security update support will also become available in the next
week or so.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez