Re: faxing via broadband

> From: Lee Braiden <jel@tundra.ath.cx>
> Date:
> Today 05:29:30
>>On Friday 06 May 2005 11:05, hja123 wrote:
>>Interesting, what you said about faxing and broadband. I would have
>> thought that it is possible since broadband can handle images. I
>>came
>> across some non-free software available for this purpose.

><snip>
>
>On the other hand, a broadband "modem" is something quite different:
>it sends and receives data in an entirely different way, that has
>nothing to do with the way faxes send and receive data.

>Where the confusion lies is that both technologies are used as
>underlying communication methods for Internet communications, but
>when you send an image over the internet, you're not sending it in a
>way that's similar to fax.  In fact, it's VERY different.  Rather
>than calling someone, and sending a digital image, you're connecting
>to the internet, finding another computer on that network, and
>digitally sending data through some high-level protocol.
>What you send could be an image, a sound, or a CD: it's all the same
>as far as the internet is concerned, but a fax machine wouldn't
>understand any of it, image or not.
>
>--
>Lee.

As long as you have broadband interent access you can use web based
faxing solutions, some even provide free faxing services.

http://www.savetz.com/fax/

I do think that e-mail would be a better solution, how many people you
know have a fax machine, but no e-mail? Also you have the problem of
confirmation, yes you can get a little confirmation when you send the
fax, does it go to the right person? Or does it sit on the machine
until someone feels like looking at it? Is what you send readable on
their end, is it complete? I think we can all remember those days of
looking for page 3, the most critical part of the fax and ending up
calling the person to resend it.

In a simple term faxes are not realiable, too many variables for
failure compared to e-mail, and then you have the security aspect to
contend with.  The only exception I can think of would be signatures,
I have run into some places which want a signature faxed to them for
some dumb reason, its not like digital signatures are good enough or
something.  If that happens, a good scanner and the above site
provides me with ample resources to please their little hearts.

If someone owns a fax machine, and a computer do us all a favor and
unplug it, trust me you will be glad you did.  For the cost of ink,
and paper just sign up for a fax-e-mail solution.  Thats right
business offer a solution for all those faxes to be digital 1-and 0's
sent to your favorite e-mail address.

Gnu_Raiz