Thumbnail picking software

Every now and again I take a bucket-load of photographs, then I get
the job of organising them. To do this nicely I would like to be able
to create thumbnails of them.

Just scaling the image isn't good enough, some images are portrait,
some are landscape, so I'd end up with thumbnails of different
dimensions that don't flow nicely.

I'd also like to be able to pick a part of the image to focus on, e.g.
if the image is a portrait of a person I could pick their face.

Idealy I'l like a piece of software which would present me with the
images one at a time and let me draw a bounding box (with a fixed
ratio I specify in advance) around the area of the image I want. Then
I'd like it to generate a thumbnail.

Better yet, I'd like it to spit out the filename and the co-ordinates
of opposite corners of the bounding box on the command line so I can
pipe it into a script and scale the image on my own terms.

Does anyone know of a tool like this? Or of any libraries (Perl
modules by preference) that would make it easy to write it?

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk>