Re: kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device

Hi,

A few more thoughts ...

> When I boot the custom kernel it comes up fine, but after a while, it
> starts with:
> 	kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> 	sda2: rw=0, want=1218969608, limit=1146494790
> (sda2 is the /home partition)

> /boot:$ diff config-2.6.8-2005042901 config-2.6.8-2-686-smp
> 119,120c119,120
> < # CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G is not set
> < CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y
> ---
> > CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
> > # CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set

The fault could lie with:
1. Kernel: HIGHLY unlikely!
2. megaraid: Almost impossible. The two kernels are using the same
module.
3. Logical file system: The partition uses ext3. Unlikely the problem,
considering both kernels are looking at the same partition with the same
software. They should both throw the same errors.
4. RAM: The box has 4GB, of which the stock 2.6.7 kernel only sees about
3GB. (Which was the dominant reason for recompiling.) Either there is a
physical error with the 1GB that the stock kernel can't address, or
maybe there's a type mismatch between the first 3GB and the last GB.

That's the only thing I can think of. Not sure why the error comes up
when reading from sda2 if it's a RAM issue though.

Hmmm,

Norman