Re: kernel installation problem

jenea wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried to build a new kernel and install it following the steps
> described in
>   http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html
> All goes ok till I  get to
>
>  " To create the initrd, do the following:
>
> 		$ mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.0.img 2.6.0
>  "
> they also says
>
> "
>  Some versions of mkinitrd may require other options to specify the
> location of the new kernel. On SuSe 9.0, for example, the following
> syntax is required:
>
> 		$ mkinitrd -k vmlinux-VERSION -i initrd-VERSION
>
> "
>
> None of them works on my system ;I have mkinitrd v 1.201 , my system's
> kernel is v  2.4.27-1-386 ; I use debian distro.
> When I type ( I try to build 2.6.10 kernel ) :
>
>   > mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10.img 2.6.10
>
> it gives me mkinitrd help , saying how to use it:
>
>   /usr/sbin/mkinitrd [OPTION]... <-o outfile> [version]
>
> When I type :
>
>  >$ mkinitrd -k vmlinux-2.6.10 -i initrd-2.6.10
>
> I get the same result ( mknitrd help ).
> Could somebody help me with this stuff ?
>
> Best regards,
>               Eugen.

Hi,

You may want to follow this guide instead:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

That way you can compile a kernel without the need for initrd all
together. Exept if you want a cool looking bootsplash or something
like that.

When you run make menuconfig, be sure to include support for IDE
drives (If you use IDE drives ofcourse) and your fs type. EXt3,
ReiserFS or whatever.

If you like to receive my .config file for Kernel 2.6.11, just let
me know.

Mark