Re: Cannot remove 'execute' permission from vfat & ntfs partitions

On 05 May 2005, Kevin1 wrote:

>However, dmask & fmask do not appear to be options for ntfs. I have
>/dev/hda6	/mnt/winE	ntfs	uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=227,fmask=337	0	0
>... which I hoped would allow owner and group to navigate directories
>and read, but not write or execute files. This strangely results in the
>permissions for winE being 414.
>Have I missed something or is it not possible to achieve this for ntfs.

Check out this NTFS FAQ:

I think you just need to add a 0 in front of your 3-digit umask.

Thanks for asking this question; I hadn't realized it was possible to
remove the pesky executable permissions, so I hadn't even tried to find
out how to do it!

ASCII silly question, get a silly ANSI.