Backup mirror machine

I'm looking for a few suggestions on making a mirror machine:

I had a video card fail on a machine yesterday. (I had a spare
available.)   The machine runs mail, web, webmail, imap,  DNS, and
ntp.  Mostly a low traffic machine.  I rsync backups to another
machine (actually more than one) but I realized how much time it can
take to get the machine up and running again.

So, I'm wondering about running a mirror that can be brought up in
short notice.  It's not "mission critical" so I'm not really
interested in some kind of load-balancing/fail-over setup -- just a
machine I can attach to the network and have it take over about where
the last one was.

What I currently have is one machine that is basically a mirror of
another, but has different public and internal IPs.  So to replace the
main machine I'd have to go through the various configs and change IPs
(and change bind from a slave to a master).  Actually, it's currently
a matter of changing a few symlinks, but still it's not a very good
system.

What I'd like to do, I think, is have a system that ran as a separate
machine, but I could reboot and at the LILO prompt select another
configuration that makes it boot with the other machines IPs and
config settings.  Perhaps mounting different /etc, /var, and /home. (and
what else?) assuming I have the same package set and versions.

Those /etc, /var, /home, etc. could be rsync backups based on this
procedure:

   http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Any Suggestions?

--