Re: SATA disk mounting point ? [solved]

--- Hannuman Bull <hannuman@bullwebsystems.com> wrote:
> Ib,
>
> Look in /sys/block. You might see a folder like sda, sdb, etc...
> Inside
> that folder, there might be another folder sda1, sda2, sda3.  If so,
> you
> can get more info on your device with "udevinfo -a -p
> /sys/block/sda/sda1" (change sda/sda1 to whatever you have).
>
> Hannuman
>

> Ibrahim Mubarak wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have Debian SID on my machine running on an IDE disk [No problem
> >here]. I also have 2 SATA (ntfs) disks on the silicon chipset of my
> >mobo [Those are the ones I can't mount]. I compiled my own kernel
> >(2.6.10) and got the kernel to see the two drives. When I do a "cat
> >/proc/scsi/scsi" I get :
> >Attached devices:
> >Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> >  Vendor: ATA      Model: WDC WD1200JD-00G Rev: 02.0
> >  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
> >Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> >  Vendor: ATA      Model: WDC WD2000JD-00H Rev: 08.0
> >  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
> >
> >When I check the /proc/partition file, none of them show up there.
> >I tried mounting /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda but both return "mount:
> >/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device".
> >
> >I did a Linux-Google search for "mount sata drive" but nothing
> useful
> >came up.
> >
> >What am I missing here?
> >
> >Thx,
> >ib

Just for the record:

It turns out to be that I did not set the option (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD) in
the kernel under Device Drivers --> SCSI device support --> SCSI disk
support. I compiled the new 2.6.11 kernel with this option on and
everything is running smoothly. Now I have /dev/sda and sdb. I guess
the title of the option is a little bit confusing and it would be great
if it included something about sata disks too. The only tip I got was
the help text for the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA option, which is not even
in the same category!

ib

The covers of this book are too far apart.
                -- Book review by Ambrose Bierce.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html