installing X causes RAID to fail

Hello:

 I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this problem...

 I've been trying to get RAID up and going (consistently) for a few days
now. After attempting many things such as installing with/without a
desktop, changing partition sizes and changing the number of partitions,
I've narrowed down that installing X and a desktop environment is causing
RAID to fail at boot. (i.e. If I just do a base install and configure
RAID through the installer, it will work.)

 However, if I install X and a desktop environment either through the
installer or afterwards, the RAID arrays - except md1 (/boot) - will not
mount. This result is mimiced in /proc/mdstat which only shows the one
array.

 The loadmodules file in the initrd.img image show the following modules
being loaded at boot and looks identical to this before installing
x/desktop.

 modprobe -k vesafb > /dev/null 2>&1
 modprobe -k fbcon 2> /dev/null
 modprobe -k unix 2> /dev/null
 modprobe -k raid1
 modprobe -k ata_piix
 modprobe -k aacraid
 modprobe -k sc_mod

 The /etc/default/mdadm file looks like this and again is the same as
before installing x/desktop.

 START_DAEMON=true
 MAIL_TO="root"
 AUTOSTART=true

 The /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file - which again looks identical - is like this:

 DEVICE partitions
 ARRAY /dev/md7 level-raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=[a bunch of hex stuff]
 devices=/dev/sda12,/dev/sdb12

 [and then continues with the "ARRAY" and "devices" lines as you would
expect for each array matching it with the two corresponding partitions.]

 As a note on this file, I've tried regenerating it (mdadm --detail --scan
>> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf) and having the first line read "DEVICE
/dev/sda* /dev/sdb*" which doesn't help.

 I've tried rebuilding the initrd.img image - still no improvement.

 The Grub device.map and menu.lst files look identical to what they looked
like before the x/desktop installation.

 The error that occurs at boot for each of the unmounted arrays is like:

 fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/md1
 /dev/md1:
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains and ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
 e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

 Any help would on why this happens after installing x/desktop would be
greatly appreciated.

I'm using sarge with kernel 2.3.6-2.386

 Thank you..