Re: choose the default display manager

hjvm@freenet.de wrote:

Not starting GNOME Display Manager (gdm); it is not the default display manager.
Starting K Display Manager: kdm.
Starting WINGs display manager: wdm.
Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.
Hmm weird. each of the display managers are from the standard debian packages?

What can I learn from that? It seems to start two display managers. Strange enough, I don't get any error messages.
Which DM actually comes up?

But in which conf-file can I actually set the display manager that is used?! I tried dpkg- reconfigure {gdm|kdm|wdm|xdm} which lets me choose the default display manager. That doesn't change anything, yet.
What's in /etc/X11/default-display-manager ? Failing that, in /etc/init.d/{g|k|x|w}dm, is HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER always set to true?

And how can I tell which display manager has been used? I'm just curious, because I can't recognize anything familiar. And I'm pretty sure that I know what gdm and kdm should look like.
You could check your ps output and see which processes seem to be open. If you log in and use 'pstree' you should see your window manager (or e.g. gnome-session) as a child process to the display manager.