Re: apt-get deprecated?

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 23:05 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:25:16PM -0500, Steve Block wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:11:43AM -0700, mm wrote:
> > >Is there any compelling reason to use `apt-get' over `aptitude', given
> > >the latter's more robust feature set (installation tracking, for
> > >example)?
> > >
> > >I've been using aptitude exclusively for about a year for installing
> > >packages, yet still see a lot of new documentation with directives to
> > >install/upgrade with apt-get.
> >
> > There's no real need to use apt-get over aptitude. They use the same
> > package lists and underlying architecture.
>
> I remember readding something that they each use their own database.
> So that mixing the two methods was not a good idea.
>
> Or was that dselect? Can someone confirm or deny?

I'm not sure if it IS aptitude, but I'm relatively sure that it's NOT
dselect. I used to use dselect exclusively (before I saw the light and
started using wajig) and it would work on any changes that were set by
apt-get and/or dpkg. i.e. I could mark packages for installation in one,
and then execute the operation in another without a problem.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837