Re: [OT] X-friendly KVM switch?

On 2005-05-02, Adam Hardy penned:
> On 02/05/05 02:38 Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> I'm looking for an X-friendly PS/2-style KVM switch.  Currently, I
>> have a Belkin 4-port Omniview E series, and whenever I switch back
>> to X from another system, the mouse goes all crazy and I have to
>> ctrl+alt+backspace.
>>
>> Anyone have a well-behaved KVM switch?
>
> My Belkin KVM worked fine with when I had it set up with windows and
> redhat, but then I installed debian on the linux box and i get what
> you're getting.

Ah, yes, I know I've heard that before.  I wonder what the difference
is.

> I'm not using gpm either.

Was the RedHat box?

> As a temp solution if you want, I sort the mouse out by unplugging
> the mouse cable from the KVM and plugging it back in. It sorts
> itself out then somehow.

Never thought of that.  That's better than nothing, but of course not
ideal.

> I tried finding a better solution but I got nowhere, plus people
> telling me to go and buy a new KVM (in typical disposable society
> fashion).

Well, I also remember trying to sort this out a while ago (maybe two
years?), also with no success.  If hardware doesn't work, it doesn't
work.  In my case, I don't mind buying a second one because I can use
the switch elsewhere -- but the second one had better work!

> I actually contacted Belkin and the support guy said the newer KVMs
> have flashable ROM and can be upgraded, but mine is not so.

That also rings a bell.  Too bad they won't do a recall on the ones
that don't work =/

> Anyway if you do buy a new one, let us know if it all works OK.

Sure!

Hrm, I wonder if there's a listing of debian-happy KVM switches out
there.  This board seems to suggest that as long as I get a newer
model, life will be good:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/636004592731/r/208008592731

--
monique