Re: vsftpd - weird error msg

Googling provided nothing on this. How should I work out what to do next -

trying to log in to my debian box running vsftpd from a windows machine (on my home network):

OOPS: cap_set_proc
>> and
OOPS: vsf_sysutil_recv_peek

and vsftpd kicked the client off.

Finally found the problem after googling some more -

modprobe capability

I had upgraded the kernel. Presumably with the previous kernel, the capability module was being loaded automatically.

Can any kernel guru shed some light on this?

Even though I got it working, I would be way happier knowing what was going on so that I can avoid similar issues in the future.

I never saw any reference to the 'capability' module in the kernel config when I recompiled, but then I wasn't looking for it. So I am clueless about its connection to vsftpd.