Re: Un-Debian? (was: Kernel choices)

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:29:07AM -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
> On 4/28/05, Stephen R Laniel <steve@laniels.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to toss in a little self-defense here, because
> > having "the computer ... do it for them" is so un-Debian,
> > and I'd hate to be thought of as un-Debian. :-)
>
> It is?  I thought it was the other way around: apt-get install this,
> apt-get install that, installs the software for you, does most of the
> configuration for you...apt-get update, apt-get upgrade upgrades
> everything for you...little manual configuration or fetching of
> packages.  You can still do it manually if you want, but I thought one
> of the core features of Debian was automating administrivia so you can
> focus on other things.

I want a distro that "having the computer ... do it for them" is
desirable. Except for the behaviour of [gkx]dm and run levels the first
time you meet it :-(

I like how it doesn't install a gui by default. (I'm only assuming sarge
doesn't). It seems people use/have-turned-to debian cause of the way it
handles customisation versus automation. I don't run other distros so my
comments may be off the mark. Thoughts?

--
Chris.
======