Re: do I really need "make-kpkg clean"?

On Monday 02 May 2005 01:03 am, Pollywog wrote:
> On Sunday 01 May 2005 11:02 pm, H. S. wrote:
> > I might not have made it clear, sorry for the confusion. I was refering
> > to the compile time it takes to build a new version of the kernel (the
> > step involving: $> fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=myver --initrd
> >  kernel_image).
>
> I think that since you are changing the version of your kernel, you need to
> recompile the kernel so the modules and kernel have the same name.
> I have recompiled modules and not the kernel and everything worked, but I
> did not change the EXTRAVERSION in the /usr/src/kernel-<version>/Makefile

I should have given an example of what I meant.  I recompiled my Nvidia
drivers and ALSA drivers and I had to be sure the packages that resulted
would have the same name as the ones they replaced, so that the modules would
be installed in /lib/modules/2.6.11-v3/ for example so I did not changed

EXTRAVERSION = -v3

before recompiling the modules.

8)