Re: Network Everywhere NX100U-WM NIC

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
> >Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> 11)

> >>It's been my experience that whenever a device
> shows
> >>up as "Unknown", my best solution has been to
> upgrade my kernel.
> >>

> >I upgraded to 2.4.18-686 and that got the module to
> >load.  Unfortunately, that did not get my LAN
> working,
> >so the NIC was probably NOT the problem.
> >

> Can you "ping localhost"?
> Can you ping your gateway, by address? by name?
> >I have a temporary workaround, if anyone can help
> me
> >with it.  I have a Lucent Winmodem installed in my
> >desktop machine (not the one with the new NIC).  If
> >can get it working, I can at least use my normal
> >desktop machine for e-mail and connection to the
> Net
> >while I try to work out the LAN problems.  The
> >pertinent section of lspci on that box is:
> >
> >0000:00:0b.0 Communication controller: Lucent
> >Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 02)
> >	Subsystem: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
> >	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV-
> >

> Argh; I hate winmodems. It's possible that you can
> find a working driver
> here:
> http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/
> But the only binary driver I found for Debian for
> 2.6 is for 2.6.8, so
> you might still have some issues.

I hate winmodems, too.  That is why I have kept a
dinosaur of a machine going, to run my old ISA
hardware modem, and a two box LAN to connect my
desktop box to it and the NET.  When that box died I
found someone with a box almost as old that he wanted
to get rid of.  That is up and running, but now the
network has been down for a week and I can't get it
going, so I am trying to get the winmodem up just so
that I can access the Net from my desktop and not have
to use this Windows laptop with an only
semi-functional 'g' key.

I have already been to the linmodem site and found the
binary for 2.6.8.  I would be happy to uprade, if I
could access the Net to get the 2.6.8 kernel, but,
then I wouldn't need to.  I would even be willing to
compile my own (even though I generally avoid it like
the plague) but the site says that I need the *entire*
kernel source (not just headers), which, again, I
don't have and can not get access to.  I can install
any package that will fit on a floppy to move from the
laptop to the desktop, but nothing larger.

Can anyone point me to some way to get either my LAN
or my modem working?

Marc Shapiro