Re: apt-get deprecated?

On 2005-05-01, Paul E Condon penned:

> In most cases this is good, but it can lead to aptitude doing really
> bad things in some special situations. For instance, I once
> installed kde by requesting the single over-all package that exists
> only to bring in all the packages needed to give the user a standard
> kde set-up.  Then, after using it for a while, I decided that a lot
> of what was there was stuff and clutter that I didn't want. I tried
> to remove the stuff that I didn't want, but aptitude wouldn't do it,
> because it insisted that I had to remove the over-all kde package
> first. But when I removed that, it threatened to remove _all_ kde
> packages, which is not what I wanted.  I used apt-get to remove the
> package kde. This made all of kde's component packages into
> independent packages in the little mind of aptitude. Then I removed
> the ones that I didn't want without aptitude trashing the rest of my
> kde set-up.

Ah, yes.  I've run into that kind of obnoxiousness before.

I think the "right" thing to do here would be to mark all the
kde-related packages as being "manually" installed, or at least some
key subset.  AIUI, that will promote them to first-class citizens of
aptitude-land.  But when I ran into the problem, I don't think I knew
about that.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers: