Re: Alsa just won't record

Why is your capture device at volume level 0?  That means a recording
level of zero.

I seem to have missed the first part of this thread.  I had some
trouble getting my SB Live! card to capture properly.  There are so
many different mixer devices on the card, and I had to set one that
said "AC97" (I think) to an on setting with amixer, a device that
would seem to have nothing to do with recording.  Or maybe I turned
that device off so that I didn't hear the mic at the same time.

Anyway, configuring cards with ALSA can be complicated, but using a
combination of alsamixer and amixer, it can be done, and then saved
with alsactl.