problems with new system and installation - .bashrc

Hi I've a very important question for the smart among you.  :-)
Just kidding, everybody can aswer it... of course. OK here we go: I?ve  installed some new systems and I can
change the prompt as I want, but if I write any kind of script, and
change the prompt within the script, it doesn't change the
prompt.

change the prompt as I want, but if I write any kind of script, and change
the prompt within the script, it doesn't change the prompt. This is even
with a short 1 line script that does nothing but change the prompt.

Here's the prompt I'm trying to use (which includes escape characters, which
seem to be causing the problem -- bash seems to see them as commands):

PS1="\e[35;40m[\u@\h:\W]\\$\e[0m "

I know my old .bashrc changed the prompt (only PS1), but I don't remember
doing anything other than PS1="{my prompt}" to get it to do that.

So how can I export a prompt I create in a script (like .bashrc) to use
outside the script (in normal command line)?
Thanks for any help.

Francisco

Reminder: My email is not francis_cdasilva@yahoo.com.br anymore. Just reply to the email above. Thanks -#§ß7733224-030 Francisco Cesar da Silva, Berlin, Germany

Fruhlings-Aktion: Gratis DSL-Modems zur freien Auswahl
Nur bis 30. April bei WEB.DE DSL! https://dsl.web.de/?mc=021193