Re: [OT] Project management

on Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:42:19AM -0700, Bill Moseley (moseley@hank.org) wrote:
> Anyone have personal experience (not just with looking at apt-cache)
> with a project management & bug/task tracking application?  gforge is
> too complex for my needs.  Bugzilla scares me a bit. ;)  I just want
> a something for managing small projects with a few people -- for use
> in contracting work.
>
> I just want something for keeping track of tasks and bugs and that
> includes email notification of status changes.
>
> Anyone used cvstrac or Trac?

They all more-or-less suck....  You can't fix bad practices and/or
unwilling cow-orkers with a software tool.  The *right* tool can oil a
well-designed system and help a committed team get things done.

I've visited this space a few times, and installed (or attempted) within
the past few days:

  - Drupal:  not PM/BT/TM in itself, but a useful communications tool.

  - TUTOS:  (The Ultimate Team Organization Software) Somewhat
    byzantine, but installs pretty sanely, enough so that if you want to
    get an eval up and running you can with relatively little grey hair.

  - eGroupware:  sort of hung halfway through the installation, working
    out the bits.  Prettier than TUTOS.

Both TUTOS and eGroupware have project sites which let you see the apps
can do.  TUTOS has a live demo.  Heck, so does Drupal...

Other packaged stuff includes:

  - RT (Request Tracker).  There's a current v3 version in Debian.
    Scope it out.

  - TWiki.  Not PM of itself, but like Drupal, addresses the
    documentation / communication angle, from a different angle.

You can toss a mess of other twiki / blog / CMS software into the mix.
Unfortunately, it's hard to assess these tools without really driving
them for a while.

Peace.

    Q:  You say that gamma-radiation bursts may be interstellar warfare...