samba mount timeout

Hi,

I have two sarge clients attached to the same network using the same fstab
entries to mount shared drives.  On one system I can use the hostname in the
fstab entry, on the other it only works with ip numbers.  On the client which
only works with ip numbers I get the following timout message when I try to
mount the share using the hostname:

k2bio1:/# mount /mnt/k2 -bio/
timeout connecting to 213.174.32.40:445
timeout connecting to 213.174.32.40:139
Error connecting to 213.174.32.40 (Operation already in progress)
2283: Connection to srh00011 failed
SMB connection failed

where I presume 213.174.32.40 is some external nameserver.  The strange thing
is that the mounts worked using the hostname before a dist-upgrade and kernel
upgrade to 2.6.11, before that the system hadn't been updated in at least six
months.

I can't figure out what the difference is between the two clients that would
allow one to use the hostnames, and not the other.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks,

Chris

--